Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Serving In Florida & Framing Class


The author Barbara Ehrenreich decides to do an experiment of the "working class" and writes about it in Serving in Florida. In this chapter in Rereading America it talks about the jobs that Ehrenreich gets to see what it would be like to live and work as most Americans do. The author write this in a narrative, descriptive and detailed form to help readers picture exactly how she would like us to see what she experienced.


The purpose to Ehrenreich experiment was to see how average working Americans survive in the economy and how stressful it can be. She was trying to see if a different life than hers would be easier and if she could survive the jobs that no one really dreams about having. As a reader I learned that quitting school and just having a paid by the hour job is not what I want. I want a career and something that I love to do and look forward to doing everyday. Ehrenreich approach in writing this story is something that everyone could picture and relate to. Everyone has had at least one job that was their worst. Even Donald Trump had to work very hard to get to the top.


In Framing Class by Diana Kendall, she talks about how the media forms society and their "need" to have the riches that only the most powerful and famous people have. The debt that we get ourselves into is our own fault. I'll admit that when I watch T.V. that I want to buy more things that I don't necessarily need. For example I would always see Ashton Kutcher on the Nikon commercial with the Coolpix touch screen camera and I thought that I would LOVE to have that camera. This past Christmas I told me family that, that's all I wanted for Christmas that year. What I didn't know was that camera was about $400 and it didn't take that great of pics. Lesson learned yes because I went and played with he camera before I got it for Christmas and I found out that I didn't even like he touch screen, but Ashton had made it look so fun and entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. that is awsome cartoon! but i agree it seems like we want what the rich & famous but is it really what it is all made up to be?? nahh!!! lets stick with the simple life .. its good :)

    ReplyDelete