Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Introduction reading

When I picked up Rereading America at the DSC bookstore I thought this book looks more like a political science or a political history book. I have not taken either of those classes so I wouldn't really know, but this was my first impression. My second impression was when I skimmed through the book and that the pictures that I saw were there for us to evaluate society issues and how we are influenced by society and by advertising.

After reading the first few pages I thought that this book would challenge the way I think and look at relationships, religion, and my values. I also thought that I want to become a level-headed and a critical thinker. However, isn't it just someone’s opinion that I try to become a critical thinker? Then after continuing to read I realized that this book is to help students, and myself, change their point of view and mainly to help them reevaluate themselves, become better thinkers and to not be offended by someone’s opinion. Because they have a right to their opinion, as I have a right to mine. Therefore we must be respectful.

What it means to be to be an American citizen....
I had to think about this for a while. I never really think of what it means to be a U.S citizen. However after a while of thinking I think that it means to have an opinion and have a right to voice that opinion and to be grateful of your freedom in so many ways. Also, be thankful to the men and women who fight for our freedom, even to this day who are still fighting for it. I have the right to vote as a citizen and to be able to criticize the leaders of this country. I can create and achieve anything I desire and can think of because I live in this free country. It is a privilege to live in such a great country, even in these hard times we are facing.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post to read! I love how you went beyond the basic assignment and told some of how you got the book and your impressions from there. I really appreciate your willingness to self admit when you are confused about something or know that it will challenge your perspective. It’s great to feel as a reader that you are speaking with the reader instead of AT the reader. I enjoy your shout out to the men and women who protect us and agree that no conversation on being an American would be complete without that acknowledgement. Overall I really enjoyed your post and love the effort you put in to making it look nice. GREAT WORK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skendall.... I really like your comment "I have the right as a citizen and be able to criticize the leaders of our country", it really made me think.... wow, she's right! In any other country we could be killed for criticizing any leaders, and here in America we do it daily! I am so greatful to be an American but i think we take so much for granit and are a littlr disrepectful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the idea that it is someones opinion to be a critical thinker. Granted it is probably really good to be able to think of everything and think outside the box but some people may not want to they like to stay in their own little world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Their are many great and wonderful benefits to living in this country we call home! I especially like what you said about being able to criticize leaders of our country. Currently I am very proud to say I admire our soon to be leader. But there has been times in the past i could throw a shoe at previous leaders. hahaha jk... but good job! see ya in class

    ReplyDelete