Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Grammar #3- Parentheses

I never know what exact information should go inside parentheses. I always avoid it and just put things into another sentence. Again I went to Grammarbook.com to find out exactly what I needed to learn.
Parentheses
Rule 1.
Use parentheses to enclose words or figures that clarify or are used as an aside.

Examples:
I expect five hundred dollars ($500).
He finally answered (after taking five minutes to think) that he did not understand the question. Commas could have been used in the above example. Parentheses show less emphasis or importance.
Em dashes, which could also have been used instead of parentheses, show emphasis.
Rule 2.
Use full parentheses to enclose numbers or letters used for listed items.

Example:
We need an emergency room physician who can (1) think quickly, (2) treat patients respectfully, and (3) handle complaints from the public.

Rule 3.
Periods go inside parentheses only if an entire sentence is inside the parentheses.

Examples:
Please read the analysis (I enclosed it as Attachment A.). OR Please read the analysis. (I enclosed it as Attachment A.) OR Please read the analysis (Attachment A).

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you I have a hard time with the whole Parentheses rule too. In fact I just have a hard time with english in general, mostly with just having all the little things be gramatically accurate. Good Job on explaining this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely Done! You did a great job of explaining this simple yet some how troubling concept. I hate to admit it but, the only time I use paranthese is in math. Maybe I should diverisify my writing.

    See Thursday at 6:00,

    Maddi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you wrote about parentheses. I need help with these. Thanks for including a few examples, too. That helps. :)

    ReplyDelete